Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Chilaquiles Verdes



This is a recipe that I got from my friend Valerie, who had modified it from a recipe she saw on television. I added a couple of my own touches, and so here it is - a recipe for chilaquiles verdes.

1 jar (16 oz.) tomatillo salsa or salsa verde
11 oz. or about 1 1/3c broth (I used vegetable; but you can use chicken, too.)
2/3 cup cooked and flavoured kidney beans (again - you can also add a meat here if you'd prefer)
1/2 bag sturdy corn tortilla chips

sour cream, jalapenos, onions, tomatoes, or any other topping you'd like.

Put salsa, broth, and whatever protein you're using into a dutch oven-sized pot or very large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add in tortilla chips, stir to coat everything, then put a lid on the pan and remove from heat. Let the mixture sit for about 4-5 minutes and then when the lid is removed - it's dinner! I spoon out an individual serving and garnish with sour cream, jalapenos, cilantro, whatever tastes suits you. This recipe makes around 4 large servings and leftovers keep well in the fridge for a couple of days.

I also made my own beans for this recipe, though I didn't make up my own bean recipe, I just followed this one - with the bay leaf option - and I also added a tablespoon of cumin and "glug" of olive oil to the water. One word of warning - make sure you really simmer them on high for a while. Kidney beans need to cook thoroughly to destroy their toxin they have when raw. Here is a photo just for fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yummy! That looks really delicious :D

For some very weird reason I thought the orange chunks were mango and that totally appeals to me. Nom!

(I've linked you from my crafty blog :D :D)

Tutu808 said...

This is great! I do something that turns out similar but starts very differently.
I put a slab of butter or a dab or coconut oil in a frying pan & add 1-2 corn tortillas, broken or cut into pieces. By the time you get all the tortilla in the pan, turn them. Scramble an egg or two and add to pan. Add beans if you wish. Shred some cheese. When the egg tortilla mix is done, pour into a bowl and cover with shredded cheese, any salsa you like and sour cream if you wish. You can add tofu, bacon or sausage if you want. this is one of my comfort foods!

I am glad to have found your website!

Beverly said...

Jen, the mango might be fantastic if you like the mixing of sweet and savoury! I am not a huge fan of mango overall, though. Makes my mouth feel funny.

Tutu - thanks for coming by! I am so thrilled to see an actual reader I don't already know find my blog! hehe :) I also appreciate the recipe. My goal for Sharing Foods is to get friends to contribute recipes once in a while, and I love getting ideas for foods in the blog comments, too, so thanks for getting right into the spirit of things. :)